July 19, 2013

July 2013 Book Club "Bone Appetit" by Carolyn Haines



Hi Everyone,

Wednesday evening we met for the July book club to discuss our 93rd book, Bone Appetit by Carolyn Haines. We intended to meet at Randita’s Grill in Saxonburg, but when we arrived it was closed! Despite my email message and a special stop in to Randita’s to confirm the arrangements with Dale, one of the owners, their doors were locked. Luckily, the Saxonburg Hotel is next door and they were glad to accommodate us. In attendance at the meeting were Barb K., Becky, Cheryl, Ginnie, Jody, Lori, and myself. 

Bone Appetit, a humorous murder mystery is light reading. It is the 10th book in a series involving the character Sarah Booth Delaney who is a partner in a detective agency with her best friend Tinkie. In reading Bone Appetit’, we were at somewhat of a disadvantage starting so late in the series. So much of the exposition was lacking. I would have liked more of a description of Sarah Booth’s earlier life in Zinnia, Mississippi, the setting of her home. I needed more characterization, especially for Jitti, Sarah Booth’s personal haunt and of her best friend Tinkie. 

There is a love interest for Sarah Booth that continues in this episode, Graf the Hollywood movie director, but again the lack of characterization left me feeling unfed. I couldn’t embrace the relationship. Sarah Booth had just miscarried a child to Graf of which caused her to become very detached from the relationship herself. In Bone Appetit we were given no reason to love Graf. To me, he was a sexual attraction for Sarah Booth, nothing more. Maybe if I was aware of the full story of their romance from reading one of the earlier books, I might have cheered him on. Instead my vote for Sarah Booth’s affection went to Coleman, the police officer of whom we learned was one of Sarah Booth’s former boyfriends. As Sarah Booth worked to solve the case of the beauty pageant killer, the character of Coleman showed love and concern for her safety. I guess I find police officers (Erik Estrada) more attractive than Hollywood movie directors (Woody Allen)!

Also, in Bone Appetit`, I never developed an affinity for Sarah Booth’s movie career. I learned next to nothing about it, so why wouldn’t I pick hometown Coleman over tinsel town Graf. After all, Sarah Booth stated on page 292, “I’d found something of value in myself and my heritage. It wasn’t that I wanted to act less, but I needed to hold on to the me I’d discovered in Zinnia.” Who doesn’t love the age old story of the hero’s journey, where the hero goes off to new worlds and new adventures but then returns home after realizing that what they were searching for was really right in front of them all along. “There’s no place like home.”

 Despite the silliness of Bone Appetit (c’mon, a book with a ghost who turns into Paul Dean and a pageant mom who uses voodoo to kill off contestants; get real!); it did, albeit, have a few very insightful words of wisdom, always the silver lining I like to see bundled into every book I read. When Sarah Booth imparted to Hedy her client and pageant contestant, “Mothers have a hard time seeing their children suffer hardships, but they get over it in the end,” I thought of myself. How many times I have bore the pain of my children’s suffering, and I’m certain all of you can say the same. But all of us also know, we will eventually come to terms with it, manage, move on, and hopefully overcome the pain induced from our maternal heartstrings. I feel like there should be a warning sign posted in all delivery rooms, “If you find it difficult to endure your own suffering, then you better think twice before taking this child home!”  

Another of my favorite quotes of Haine’s book was on page 293. This time it is Coleman, my favorite cop, who is giving advice to Sarah Booth. This quote directly ties to the previous one, “While others may hurt for us when we’re injured, no one bears the blame but us.” Sarah understood the truth behind Coleman’s words as she couldn’t speak around the lump in her throat. We can learn, too, from Coleman’s advice. As parents, we may hurt for our children, but we should never try to take the blame for their injuries, their mistakes, or their transgressions. So for this, I gotta love Coleman, again. He is not only loving and caring, but intellectual! He’s everything wrapped up into one nice package with a shiny star on top!

Our next meeting is set for Tuesday, August 20 at 6 PM. We will be reading the novel Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (it comes highly recommended by Jody’s daughter Dale and many of her friends). In this book, we will journey to the third world setting of Ethiopia. The plot involves two twin brothers Marion and Shiva Stone who fall passionately in love with the same woman. Torn to pieces, Marion flees to America to pursue his medical career. This story includes detailed descriptions of the dramatic life experienced by doctors and the traumatic cases of the patients in their care. Filled with medical jargon, have your medical dictionaries at hand or just call Lori (like she’ll really be reading the book)! Since this book is 541 pages long, we have chosen to read only half of the book for our August meeting. My suggestion is to read up to the end of the nearest chapter to page 275. 

After receiving an email from Barb K. in reference to Cheryl’s suggestion to have the meeting at the Butler Area Public Library, I checked into it. We can have the “Sun Room” for 6 PM that evening until 8 PM when the library closes. It is a new addition to the library with cushy couches and chairs. I reserved it then asked the librarian if we can bring food and she said we could. I thought we could meet at 5:30 PM at Natilie’s Pizzeria to order our pizza then take it with us to the library (anyone that can’t make it that early, call me and I’ll include you in our order). 

Although, I think it would be nice to try the alternative atmosphere with more relaxing furnishings for our discussion enjoyment, if it sounds like too much of a fuss, I’ll cancel our reservations and we can just meet at Natilie’s.  Let me know what you think.

Hope to see you on August 20 at 6 PM.

Yours in reading,
Tammy

No comments:

2020 Butler Women of Wisdom Book Club Annual Newsletter

BUTLER WOMEN OF WISDOM BOOK CLUB NEWSLETTER December 27, 2020 By Tammy C. Smith (Photo: Dawn breaks on Stoneybrook Drive in Saxonburg, Decem...